Saturday, November 30, 2013

Fathers

Fathers are so important in our lives.  I wanted to share a little bit about my father, who passed away 30 years ago, and what an incredible example of a man, husband, father and human being he was.

What was your relationship with your father, step, foster or adopted father like?  Are there attributes in his character that you have tried to portray in yourself?  Tell me your favorite and fond memories.


The example of my father- My dad has a special place in my heart.  Growing up I loved getting his warm and tender hugs and kisses.  My father was a musician-concert pianist, opera tenor, and university music professor-and I would so enjoy sitting at the piano with him or to be anywhere in the house where I could listen to him sing and play.  He loved to share his musical talents with others.  Fond memories are of going with my father to concerts of all types.  He would try and take each of us children by ourselves to spend time with him at these performances or events.  It really helped to establish a bond and friendship between us.  
 
My father was a very honest, patient, fair and distinguished gentleman.  My father didn’t “get mad” or “fly off the handle”.  He was always patient, looking beyond the moment, having empathy for others and their circumstance. He listened with intent and understanding and he never judged another, but saw the “bright side” of everything and everybody.  He was quite unique and remarkable in those attributes.  He, therefore, had enduring relationships with all those around him.  

My father treated my mother as “his queen”, always trying to do things to make her happy.  They didn’t always agree, but he would softly and sweetly take my mother into their bedroom to discuss matters of importance calmly and then they would come out united.  

He could look beyond the “here and now” in disciplining us children.  He calmly and respectfully spoke to my siblings and I-even if we were not calm or being respectful-making sure he heard us out.  He would be quiet and we could see he was thinking and then he would explain to us the reasoning and what conclusion or decision he (or with my mom) had made on the situation.  I didn’t always agree with his reasoning, but I always knew that his answer was fair.  In hindsight, and as a parent, I can see how wise he was.

I love you Dad!

No comments: